Treatment with rTMS usually comprises daily sessions (5 days a week) lasting about 40 minutes, typically for 2 to 6 weeks.
The treatment is administered by highly trained staff with experience in mental health and rTMS. The response to treatment will be monitored by a Consultant Psychiatrist.
During the session you can talk, listen to music, relax or sleep. Immediately after the treatment you can resume all your normal activities (including driving).
What Are The Advantages Of rTMS?
- Highly effective
- Few or no side effects
- Outpatient therapy
- You can assume your normal activities immediately after treatment including driving
- Non-invasive and relaxing
- No anaesthesia required
- Fast; usual response within 3-4 weeks
- Long lasting effect
- Patients do not have to stop taking medication in order to receive rTMS
- Treatment parameters are determined individually for each patient
- Excellent ability to target specific neuron circuits
- Ability to provide therapeutic benefit for treatment-resistant individuals
- rTMS does not interact with other treatments
- No discontinuation syndrome
- No risk of overdosing
- Avoid side effects such as: nausea, fatigue, weight gain, insomnia, decreased libido, memory loss, sweating, increased heart rate, dry mouth and nightmares
Our rTMS Equipment
What Are The Side Effects Of rTMS?
rTMS is a safe procedure and there are safety guidelines that are followed by trained professionals.
- Headaches 4-10% usually mild
- Scalp discomfort at the site of stimulation 2-9%, Tingling, spasms or twitching of facial muscles 2%
- Discomfort from noise during treatment
- Other rare side effects include seizures (2 per 1,000 cases)
- Co-morbid neurological disorders.
- History of epilepsy.
- Stroke, and/or neurosurgery for those who have metal plates in the head /brain, the presence of pacemakers or other electronic implants, ear implants, metal or magnetic objects in the brain and medication pumps.
- For people with alcohol and / or drug dependency.
- Age below 18 years.